Did you hear that Facebook is introducing clickable hashtags? Over the next couple of weeks, Facebook users will be able to start using hashtags as a way to add more content to a post and link a post to a larger discussion on this popular social networking site. When you click on a hashtag in Facebook, users will see a feed of what other people and/or pages are saying about the topic.
Facebook Hashtag 101
- A hashtag is a keyword or topic that starts with the # (pound) symbol
- Hashtags can include multiple words (with no spaces). For example: #SocialMedia
- Facebook is playing catch up by introducing hashtags to the online community. Major social networks that already support hashtags include Instagram (owned by Facebook), Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and YouTube.
- According to the Facebook, there are four things that you can do with a hashtag in Facebook:
- You can search for a specific hashtag from the Facebook search bar
- You can click on hashtags that originate on other services (like Instagram)
- You can compose posts directly from the hashtag feed and search results
- You can control the audience for your posts (including those with hashtags)
- Facebook is planning to roll out more features including trending hashtags and deeper insights
Example of a Hashtag in an Unpublished Facebook Post:
Example of a Hashtag in a Published Facebook Post:
- Facebook Newsroom – official announcement about hashtags on Facebook
- HubSpot Blog – Facebook Launches Clickable Hashtags #Finally. This blog post includes a great section on Facebook hashtag tips for marketers.