Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is the practice of allowing employees to use their personal mobile devices for work. With the growth in business cloud apps that run on leading mobile platforms like iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android (Samsung, Motorola, HTC etc.), BYOD has become an attractive option to business owners. Here’s our list of the top 4 reasons why BYOD is an attractive option:
- It’s cheaper. You don’t not have to fork over cash for a device and in most instances the smartphone or tablet that your employee owns is more likely to be treated better since they used their own hard earned cash to pay for it.
- It’s easy to setup. Most popular SaaS (Software as a Service) cloud apps like Salesforce, Google Apps or RingCentral have dedicated apps available on their respective app stores. So just like downloading a new Angry Birds variant, employees can be setup quickly with leading business apps.
- It increases productivity. Enabling employees to work on their own devices from anywhere, anytime makes it more likely that they’ll be more productive. They don’t have to keep track of multiple devices and they can use the one they’re already familiar with.
- It has strong security. The key here is using highly reputable business cloud apps, not technology sitting behind your company firewall. Business cloud app leaders like Salesforce.com and Google stake their reputation on their security, so they don’t take it lightly. Since data is being accessed on the phone from the cloud (just like at the office via a desktop), there’s no need to setup virtualization or VPN to access anything within your network. Salesforce allows you to revoke access and erase Salesforce data from the mobile at any time. If a device is lost or stolen, Google can even go one step further and remotely wipe the device entirely. Google will also give you the ability to audit apps installed on a given mobile device.
We’re moving to a more mobile world. Move your company to the cloud and enable your staff to work while mobile as well. Consider if BYOD makes the most sense for your company. If so, it is also important to put together a simple, straight forward policy so that everyone within the company is on the same page. Here is a sample policy to work from.
For more information about the advantages of going mobile with your business apps, check out some of our recent blog posts:
- Do More While Mobile With The Salesforce Chatter App
- RingCentral + Your Smartphone = Balance Work and Personal Life With One Phone Number
- Enable Salesforce Touch on Your Android
- New V2.0 Gmail App for iPhone/iPad – Time to Switch?
Do you need help setting up your company’s mobile devices with business apps?
Contact Perpetual West at 1 (877) 388-6400 to learn how we can help get your team mobile.